SMGSA Mid-Season Update
Hello SMGSA Families!
We’ve made it to the half way point of the season and we have a lot of exciting things happening over the next month. Please take a second to read through the important points below.
- Our 2017 playoff schedule has been released and is posted as a tab selection on the website. While we hope to not have any further rain outs, this would be subject to change in the event we need to make up games. As 8U-14U teams clinch their respective standing spots, we will fill in the blanks to solidify dates and times. Check back often to see when your daughter’s team is slotted to play their playoff games.
- On Saturday, April 22nd, we are excited to announce SMGSA night at UCLA’s own, Easton Stadium in Westwood. Come join other SMGSA families and watch the Bruins women softball team take on Cal at 7pm. Tickets will be at a discounted group rate and will be available for purchase soon. We will post a flyer with more details in the coming week. Hope you can join us for a night of fun.
- Our 2017 yearbook tributes are now available to be purchased. On closing day, May 13th, SMGSA is proud to hand every player an SMGSA yearbook for the spring season. A great way to show your daughter support for giving it her all during the season is to purchase a tribute and have it displayed in our yearbook. Tributes are available as a 1/4 page softball for $5, 1/2 page box for $10 or a full page large softball for $20. Tributes can be printed from the document section of the website or picked up at the Heasley Diner. Pay when you turn it in however it must be turned in to Jeff Reisbeck or Jennifer Thomas by Sunday, April 23rd. Quantities are limited and that April 23rd deadline may shorten depending upon when our maximum is reached.
- A reminder about parking at Sierra Madre Elementary School. All coaches, parents and anyone in between must park on Grandview Avenue per the terms of the Field Use Agreement with the City of Sierra Madre. Please do not park on Hermosa Avenue when using that field. Your help with this is greatly appreciated.
- If you have worked your diner shift, don’t forget to pick up your diner refund deposit in the diner the following week. We are also happy to mail it to you to the registration address you posted online. Feel free to let us know either way and we thank you for helping make the SMGSA diner so successful.
- We are arranging to have a photo make-up day on Sunday, April 23rd at Heasley Field. For those players who missed their photo slot on opening day, this is another opportunity to get it done. More information on times will be announced soon.
- Nominations for the 2017-2018 SMGSA Executive Board are now being taken. Volunteering for the board is an excellent way to get involved and help make the league operate in the best interest of the girls. It is a commitment for one year which includes one board meeting per month. Every position has a different level of commitment in terms of time and per the SMGSA’s Bylaws, we have set up a Nominating Committee which will handle the interview, nomination and ballot selection process. Voting will occur on closing day and more information on how to vote will be sent out soon. Three additional positions were voted on and added for the ‘17-’18 fiscal year, bringing a total of 19 positions available. Those positions are:
– Vice President (NEW)
– Player Agent
– Umpire in Chief
– Director of Coaching
– Director of Purchasing – Equipment
– Director of Purchasing – Uniforms
– Field Maintenance Officer
– Safety Officer (NEW)
– Registrar (NEW)
– Special Activities Director
– Fundraising Officer
– All-Star Coordinator
– Publicity Officer
– Snack Activities Coordinator (aka Diner Operator)
In the coming days, we will post the job descriptions of each board position on the website to give a better understanding of what is done. Nominations must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com by Wednesday, April 26th. Our nominating committee will then be in touch with every nominee to discuss the position and present the nominees to the board at our May 3rd board meeting.
All for now! Thanks again for being part of this great organization and hope to see you out on the field.