News and Announcements
Good morning and happy Opening Day Eve SMGSA families! This is a very important message pertaining to Opening Day so in an effort to make sure no one gets lost in the shuffle, I’m going to outline how the morning festivities will work.
To begin, opening ceremonies commence at 9am at Heasley Field so ALL players should arrive no later than 8:45. We have assigned each team a number and location in which to meet at. Those numbers and locations are:
Left Field area near the bullpen:
Red Devils – 2
Attitude – 4
Shockwave – 6
Battitude – 8
Dolphins (10U) – 10
Blue Bombers – 12
Twisted Tornadoes – 14
Purple Panthers – 16
Electric Eels – 18
Pretty in Pink – 20
Purple Lightning – 22
Dolphins (6U) – 24
Right Field area near the Green SMGSA storage bin:
Blue Lightning (14U) – 1
Llamas – 3
S.W.A.T. – 5
Fire Storm – 7
Blizzards – 9
Flamethrowers – 11
Lucky Clovers – 13
Pink Starburst – 15
Red Fireballs – 17
Blue Lightning (8U) – 19
Dodger Dogs – 21
Gators – 23
Phoenix Fire – 25
All players should look for and check in with their team managers in these areas when they arrive. Those players on team Attitude should check in with Coach Marty and those on the Blue Bombers should check in with Coach Sheridan.
Opening festivities should be over by 10am and the first games of the day will start. However, throughout the morning, team pictures will be occurring. The league is providing each player with a 3×5 individual player photo, a 5×7 team photo, a photo button and 4 wallet sized player photos. Additional photo’s can be ordered from the attached order form. If you have a copy already, you are in good shape. If you don’t, please print out the form. Every player must turn in a filled out order form to the photographer, EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT ordering additional photos. Photo’s will take approximately 20 minutes and every team has a photo appointment. Teams should meet next to the SMGSA green storage shed in right field no later than 5 minutes before their scheduled photo time. Teams and photo times are:
8am – Dolphins (6U) & Phoenix Fire
8:15am – Blizzards & Battitude
8:30am – Dodger Dogs & Gators
10am – Blue Lightning (8U) & Dolphins (10U)
10:15am – Llamas & Flamethrowers
10:30am – Blue Bombers & Purple Lightning
10:45am – Pretty in Pink & Red Fireballs
11am – Electric Eels & Fire Storm
11:15am – Shockwave & Pink Starburst
11:30am – Purple Panthers & S.W.A.T.
11:45am – Attitude & Lucky Clovers
12pm – Twisted Tornadoes & Red Devils
12:15pm – Blue Lightning (14U)
The SMGSA Diner will open at 8am and will be selling donuts, coffee & hot chocolate. We still have a few booth spots open at our opening day carnival. If you can spare an hour to help out run a booth, we would be very appreciative. Here is the link to see what is still left: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c054fa9a62cabff2-opening1
All managers are in possession of the uniforms which have not been distributed to players as of yet. If the manager is going to give the uniform to the player at opening ceremonies, please make sure you are on time so there is plenty of time to change.
Lastly, and this is a heads up for next weekend. The Wistaria Festival is next Sunday, March 12th. This will close the downtown Sierra Madre area to motor traffic including Sierra Madre Blvd west of Lima. If you traveling to Heasley Field from the south next Sunday, it would be best to come up Santa Anita and head west on Sierra Madre Blvd instead of using Baldwin.
On behalf of the entire Board of Directors for SMGSA, we look forward to seeing you all tomorrow and thank you for doing your part in making our association the premier girls softball league in the western San Gabriel Valley.
We’ll see you out on the field!
Happy Monday SMGSA Families!
This is just a reminder of tomorrow’s Parent Meeting at Alverno. The meeting will begin at 6:30pm and will be located in the cafeteria. Please remember to park on the east side of campus off of Wilson.
Also, our Diner sign-ups have gotten off to a strong start. More than 2/3’s of the spaces are filled. If you haven’t signed up, don’t miss your chance to get a spot that works best for you. Here is the link to the page: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c054fa9a62cabff2-diner1
Look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow night!
Correction to last nights email blast/website post…
The parent meeting is Tuesday, February 28th at 6:30pm at Alverno. It is not Thursday. We apologize for any confusion.
Hello SMGSA Families!
Please take a second to read our weekly update below…
- If you haven’t already done so, please make sure all players and parents sign the new Concussion Information Sheet. This is a new law that came into effect on January 1. We will need these forms signed and returned before by February 28th. If you need a copy of one to sign, please see your team manager for the sheet.
- Our 2017 SMGSA swag is trickling in from our printers however the remaining unsold items are trickling away as well. To ensure you get the size you want, make sure you pre-order using the “SMGSA Apparel” menu button above. Swag will be available for pick up by opening day.
- Next Tuesday, February 28th will be our Parent Workshop from 6:30pm to 8:30pm. It was originally planned to have this event at Sierra Madre Middle School however we have changed the venue to Alverno Heights Academy located at 200 N. Michillinda Ave. in Sierra Madre. The event will be held in the cafeteria and parking will be in the east lot off of Wilson Street. We are requesting at least one parent from each family attend the event. We will also be handing out uniforms to those in attendance.
- Our team sponsorships are rolling in and we, as a league, are thankful for each and every person or business that sponsors a team. Last week, we launched a sponsorship contest with prizes awarded to the team that raises the most money in sponsorships. The first place team will receive team branded raglan practice shirts for each player. The second place team will receive a pizza party and the third place team will receive an ice cream party. The contest ends when the final game ends on Opening Day. Last year, the top team raised $1025 in sponsorships so with more girls and more teams this year, we looking to surpass that mark. Keep those sponsorships coming in.
- A few nights ago, we launched the service schedule sign ups for the Heasley Diner. If you haven’t signed up yet, spaces are filling up. You can sign up using this link:
- Opening day is less than 2 weeks away and it is sure to be a fun day. Our carnival with food and prizes will be a lot of fun for families. If you can spare an hour on opening day, we could still use some volunteers to operate a booth. Here is the link to those sign-ups: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c054fa9a62cabff2-opening1
- When practicing or playing at Sierra Madre Middle School, we ask that players and spectators avoid the dirt areas next to the homes, north of the playing fields. This is a buffer zone that we have promised to the neighbors to remain away from in order to protect their privacy. Managers and coaches will be posting signs along this buffer zone before each practice or game so that it is clearly marked. Your assistance with this is greatly appreciated.
Hopefully the strong rains are behind us and that the girls can begin to play consistent softball and we appreciate your patience while we deal with Mother Nature. The season is quickly approaching and we hope you make plans to join us on opening day at Heasley Field.