News and Announcements
Hello SMGSA Families!
This blast contains info on the 4th of July Parade, Fall Ball Sign-Ups and a few other items. Please take a second to review it.
- This Wednesday July 4th is the Sierra Madre Independence Day Parade and SMGSA has a spot in the parade. If you would like to join us in the parade please fill out the waiver form found here: http://www.sierramadrefourthofjuly.com/uploads/2/5/2/2/2522411/2018fourthofjulyparadeparticipantwaiver.pdf and bring it to the parade with you. We will meet at Goldberg Park, located on the southwest corner of Ramona and Sunnyside, at 9am. We need help decorating our trailer so we will then make our way over to our staging spot, which is located at 965 W. Mariposa Ave. No vehicles in this area please.
Any questions contact Mike Lundy at 224-241-9551. Hope to see you there.
- Fall ball sign-ups are underway. This year, SMGSA will host a 6U, 8U, 10U, 12U and 14/16U instructions divisions. The registration link is available on our website by clicking on the Fall Ball tab at the top of the page at smgsa.org. The cost is $95 which includes USA Softball registration, jersey top and one weekday practice and one Sunday game for 12 weeks beginning August 19th.
- The 10U, 12U and 14U divisions will each have a competitive team that will play in the San Dimas fall tournament. Those interested in being on the teams must sign up to be evaluated. Each team is limited to 12 girls and will be selected by the team managers. All those interested must request to be evaluated through our SignUpGenius NO LATER THAN JULY 10TH. If selected, the manager will provide a code to enter on the online registration site. The cost is $125 which includes USA Softball registration, jersey top, one weekday practice and approximately two games per weekend (Saturday and/or Sunday) beginning August 19th. To request an evaluation, please sign up here:
10U – https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080d4aa8aa22a7f58-10ufall
12U – https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080d4aa8aa22a7f58-12ufall
14U – https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080d4aa8aa22a7f58-14ufall
- We are still in need of a few managers for the fall season. If you are able to take on a team, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will also need assistant coaches and team parents so please note if you are able to do that when registering.
- We’d like to take a second and congratulate the 2018 12U and 14U all-star teams. Both teams finished 3rd in the Southern California State Championship Games this past weekend in Lancaster. Playing multiple games in the elements of the Antelope Valley is very tough. Temperatures were in the triple digits and at times, the wind was blowing in excess of 25mph. The girls did a great job and made their league and city proud. More details on the tournament can be found on the SMGSA Facebook page.
Announcing the 2018-2019 SMGSA Board of Directors:
President – Jeff Reisbeck
Vice President – David Marquez
Treasurer – Jennifer Thomas
Secretary – Nicole Fox
Player Agent – Mike Lundy
Umpire in Chief – Jeremy Thomas
Scheduler – Cheryl Allen
Director of Coaching – Lucinda Buchan
Equipment Director – Nathan Covey
Purchasing Agent – Glenn Chung
Publicity Officer – Rochelle Ferrari
Safety Officer – Phil Prado
Diner Director – Sebastian Pulido
Field Maintenance Officer – Chris Gil
Webmaster – Jonathan Wilder
All-Star Coordinator – Paula Jetton
Director of Fundraising – Heather Young
Registrar – Sharon Pevsner
Special Activities Officer – Mike Bruni
This board will take over July 1st and meet every 1st Wednesday of each month at Casa Del Rey in Sierra Madre at 6:30pm.
Closing day ceremonies and all games will be delayed 1 hour.
Closing ceremonies – 11am
8u Championship – 12:30
10u championship – 3:00
12u championship- 5:30
Good morning SMGSA!
To answer the burning question, YES, everything is still on today. There is a lite mist falling at Heasley Field right now and is due to stop in the next hour or so. The field is in good shape and the annual coaches game is still being played.
Everyone should have also received an email from our Survey Monkey with regards to our ‘18-‘19 Board of Directors. Please take a second to vote! If you didn’t get the email, please see Jeff at Heasley Field to get the link.
See everyone soon!
Happy Saturday SMGSA!
As we wrap up the end of the spring season, it is nice to see how much each and every girl has progressed over the past 9 weeks. With some divisions beginning playoffs tomorrow, some well played softball is sure to be upon us. With that, some info as we wrap up the season is below…
- Playoff schedules are posted on the SMGSA website. There is some sort of error on the scheduling portion so we have had to put it in manually. As games finish, the tab labeled “Playoffs” at the top will be updated with opponents, locations and times.
- Closing day is next Saturday, May 12th. The day will begin at 8am at Heasley Field with the annual Manager’s game. Come out and cheer on the spring managers and see if they play as they preach! Immediately following the game, our closing ceremonies will begin at 10am with the distribution of the 1st and 2nd place trophies and yearbooks. The diner will be open for breakfast at 8 and will remain open throughout the day.
- Championship games will be next Saturday at Heasley field with the 8U division beginning at 11:30, 10U at 2:00, 12U at 4:30 and 14U at 7:00. Please note that the 14U championship could be decided the night before since it is a double elimination tournament.
- If you are missing gear or apparel, please check the lost and found which will be in a large red bucket outside the diner at Heasley Field.
- On closing day, all members who have their email addresses inputted into our registration site will receive an online ballot to vote for 2018-2019 Board of Directors. Please take a couple of minutes when you receive it to log on and vote. We also still have a few positions which do not have any candidates nominated. If you are interested in one of those or any other position, please reach out to Jeff Reisbeck at email@example.com before Thursday, May 10th.
Good luck to all teams over the next week and we look forward to seeing everyone on Closing Day.